Friday, November 18, 2011

Onsen-ing

One of the most fun thing to do when in Japan is going for onsen. What is onsen?

Onsen is basically taking a bath at hot springs and Japan is blessed with many natural hot springs. The benefit of onsen in manifold such as healing, and most of all relaxing. From what I gathered, bathing together is also something that a family or friends do in Japan. 

Yes, onsen requires one to disrobe completely in front of whoever you are bathing together with and also random strangers. But one of the things to keep in mind, at public baths women and men sections are strictly kept separated. 

My first onsen experience was around 2005 when I visited one of my Japanese sensei in Japan. She took me to an onsen. Although, I was initially shy, I realised nobody else was. So why should I? That began my love affair with onsen.... :) Read more about onsen here.

Anyway, on my honeymoon I did go back to Japan again as you probably have known. I made sure some of the places we visited are famous for their onsen. Other than Yudanaka Onsen, we also went to Gero Onsen on the 14th April 2011. Gero Onsen is accessible via Nagoya where we had opted to stay for 3 nights. We took the Limited Express Wide View Hida train and enjoyed the gorgeous scenery. 

We decided to save time by buying bento in the train for brekkie.
It was so yummy!
View from the Wide View Hida train.
Gero Onsen
It's obvious what Gero is famous for... 

While in Gero, we also visited Gassho Mura. Read more about Gassho Mura and Gero Onsen here.


After Gero, where were we off to? Takayama!


This entry is part of my honeymoon journey.


Love,
from me to u.

4 comments:

  1. This was such a lovely read, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should thank you for reading it instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting, sounds like fun! I haven't been to Japan yet, but it's high on my travel list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      Japan is a lovely place... even though I've been there 3 times, each time it gets better and better. Definitely a wonderful place to visit. :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails